In May of 2022, as part of the creation of our floating islands setting, The Sky Realm, we had a good look across the D&D5e multiverse for the best vehicle combat system to compliment the Sky Zephyrs in our world.
We found that, although there are solid systems out there, there wasn’t a best system. In fact, just about every system we looked into had plusses and minuses – either too crunchy, too simple, too slow, too overwhelming of traditional 5e player combat, on and on.
It was at that moment we decided, “Damn, if there isn’t an amazing vehicle combat system out there, let’s just make our own.”
Our mission was to build a dynamic, fun, simple, strategic and highly adjustable system to tailor for all DM and PC combat appetites – from super crunchy to mostly RP-based (and anything in between).
Throughout this entire process we’ve kept the mantra: “Our system needs to complement and not overwhelm traditional 5e PC combat in worlds that have airships, spaceships and/or naval vessels.”
It’s a tricky balance to meet, but we’re super proud of what we’ve created.
If we could distil our system down to a couple words, it’s a system that evokes the image of “Swashbuckling Sky, Space or Naval Combat”.
Kickstarter backers will receive a 6 month subscription to our Ship Builder Webpage Application. Here’s a little sneak peek of an early prototype:
If you love vehicle combat within 5e (and One D&D down the road), we’d be honored if you supported Sky Zephyrs – An Airship Combat System Overlay.
Our Kickstarter was created for you to customize your bag of treats for exactly what you want (and leave out the stuff you don’t need). Here’s what you can choose from:
- PDF and hardcover book with dozens of pieces original artwork.
- Official Playtester with your name included in the book.
- Dozens of custom sky-based Feats
- Dozens of Spells, Creatures and Magic Items
- Sky battle map for VTTs
- GM and PC Zephyr combat trackers
- High res artwork and game-ready stat blocks of Zephyrs and their crews
- STL files for 3D printing of multiple ship crews (The Pirate Crew, The Vigilante Crew, The Mafia Crew etc.).
- SHIP BUILDER WEBPAGE APP
- Stretch Goals:
- Sky Zephyr DM Screen
- Sky (or space) Combat Encounters
- STLs of multiple sizes of Sky Zephyr airships